I decided to revisit a post I made 6 years ago about Email Etiquette. While many of the basics remain the same, I have some suggestions for these challenging times.
- Write in a positive tone. Avoid negative words and blaming statements as much as possible and above all, be emphatetic.
- Allow more lead to time follow-up on emails
- Include the action you require of the recipient in the email subject line. For example, “Response required or FYI only’
- Think about what you’re writing before you hit the ‘send’ button.
- Read your message twice and see if the email makes sense. Calm down before responding to a message that offends you.
- Use capital letters sparingly, if at all, because ‘tone’ can’t also be detected in an email.
- Just because you think something’s important, doesn’t necessarily mean that your email has the same sense of urgency for the person you’re emailing.
- Follow me on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/langk/